Lesson 2: Site Conditions
After this lesson, you will be able to:
- Identify the major force that causes tidal changes.
- Explain how tides affect a dive site.
- Identify the major cause of waves.
- Explain the difference between swells, surf, and surge.
- List three types of currents, and identify them in the open water.
- State the appropriate procedures for diving in currents.
- List three factors that can reduce visibility.
- Explain how thermoclines and upwellings affect water temperature.
- Determine the bottom composition and contours of a dive site by observing the nearby shore.